Generally, Lawn is directly planted in the soil where neighbors green belt on both sides of a road in many residence communities. This kind of lawn planting method may cause soil compaction for occasionally maintenance, although it is comparatively easier in planting. Luckily, this confliction can be perfectly resolved with the application of grass pavers in lawn pavement, which shall be explained in details in this article. Besides lawn pavement using grass pavers, many other construction site can also be used, such as fire engine access, parking lot and so on. Grass pavers can extremely increase the ratio of greening area, improve ecological condition and guarantee the safety. Here I shall share some experience from the perspective of a paver in grass paver construction and maintenance as reference.
there are mainly three options for the layer of grass pavers
1. rammed earth+green crushed stone+crushed stone+ green crushed stone+ grass paver+mixed nutrient soil
2. earth+crushed stone+concrete foundation+ green crushed stone+ grass paver+mixed nutrient soil
3. rammed earth+crushed stone+concrete foundation+ green crushed stone+ non-woven banket+ grass paver+mixed nutrient soil
Each layer option has itself advantages and disadvantage:
Pros： drainage unobstructed
Cons: pavement surface may collapse for long surface load
Option 2: Not recommended
Cons: Long time stormwater runoff may cause loss of fertilizer in soil and cause the degradation of fertilizer interlocked in grass pavers furtherly.
Option 3: Recommended
Pros: adding non-woven isolation barrier can prevent the loss of soil fertilizer, further save water.
Larger greening area: grass pavers application in greening can guarantee over 95% grassy area, with its additional features of sound-absorb and dust-absorb, all of which improve the environmental living quality. (reference: concrete grass paver bricks only provide 30% greening area among each gaps).
Investment saving: Especially in prosperous cities, 2-in-1 combination of greening and its homogenous parking sharing the same land can save lots of money for property developers.
Flat and intact: unique adjacent insert overlap can interlock grass pavers to form a stable flat uniform surface. This kind of pavement is convenient and concave avoid. (refer: concrete grass paver bricks are each separated, which must be based with the method of pouring concrete as sub layer to keep the surface flat).
High-strength and long-living: for grass paver uses special materials with patent technology, the pressure resistance can reach 200 ton/sm which is far over 32 ton/sm of requirement of fire climbing facet.
stable property,anti-Ultraviolet rays,Acid and alkali corrosion, anti-abrasion pressure, weather resistant -40℃-90℃(FYI:concrete grass bricks are easy to crack during temperature variation
Good drainage: crushed stone bearing layer can provide good drainage function which is good for excess water to discharge
Protecting lawn: bearing layer of crushed stone has a water storage function which is good for grass growing because grass can take root on the crushed stone layer.(FIY: concrete grass bricks have a small space and the temperature of it can be reached 50℃ in summer
Environment-protective: grass paver is safe and stable,recycle, no pollution, total caring the lawn.
Every square meter of grass paver weighs 5 kg. Saving labor and shortening construction period.(FYI:every square meter of the concrete grass brick is 250kg.
Normal size: 390mm*415mm*36mm 385mm*410mm*46mm 400*420mm*66mm
1.Environmental, non-toxic,pollution-free, impact resistant，anti-aging and anti-ultraviolet.
2. Excellent abrasion resistance, good corrosion resistance, high flame retardant and strong grass paving function.
3. Reducing ground reflection and heat radiation of the ground.
4. Reducing the propagation of acoustic wave on the ground and noise pollution.
5.Reducing raised dusts and purifying air.
6.Natural seepage of rainwater, no soil erosion and no water log.
7. Natural circulation of water, air and fertilizer as well as no soil consolidation.
8.Greening area enlarging, construction simplicity and light weight.
9. Freely composable, freely removable and reusable.
10.High bearing capacity: the load it can bear over 200T/㎡.
Treatments of foundation layers for the grass paver of parking lots:
1. The foundation soil should be consolidated layer by layer. Meanwhile, soil bulk density should reach over 85%. If the foundation soil is soft plastic-flow---current-formed silt layer, what’s suggested is drop-filling rubble stones and compact them till dense enough.
2. Set a sand-gravel cushion of 150mm deep. Detailed instructions: firstly, mix 10% of medium coarse sand, 60% of gravels with particle size 20-40mm and 30% of clay evenly. Secondly, spread and compact all materials above till dense.
3. Set a stable layer (planting layer) of 60mm deep as the foundation layer of grass pavers. Specific instructions: at first, turn and mix evenly 25% of gravels with particle size 10-30mm, 15% of medium river sand, 60% of farming soil added proper organic fertilizer. Then, spread them on the sand-gravel cushion and compact till they are dense.
4. Scatter a little organic fertilizer on the foundation layer and pave the grass paver by hand. The external size of the grass paver is designed according to the modular size of the parking space so usually there is no need to trim when paving. If the parking space is required to build into a special shape or a manhole cover locates in the it, the grass paver can be trimmed to satisfy the demands of different shapes of it.
5. Scatter the planting soil in the planting grid and sweep it with broom uniformly to holes of the grass paver, the height of which should be 5-10mm lower than the surface of the grass paver.
6. Lay a turf or sow grass seeds on the planting-soil layer of the grass paver. As soon as grasses survive after watering and caring, cars can be parked on it. Attention: the turf should be compacted to dense when laying.
Treatments of the foundation layer of the grass paver for the fire lane:
1. When putting the grass paver on fire lanes, the bulk density of foundation soil of which should reach the design requirement of the general concrete for fire lanes.
2. The construction of the gravel cushion layer and the stone-powder stationary layer are the same with that of normal concrete fire lanes.
3. Set a 80mm deep planting soil layer basing on stone-powder stable layer. Setting procedure:
Step 1. Take 30% gravels with 10-30mm particle size, 15% medium river sand and 55% of farming soil added proper organic fertilizer.
Step 2. Mix the three kinds of materials evenly.
Step 3. Spread the mixed materials on the stone-powder layer and compact them.
Then, it can be used as the foundation layer of the grass paver.
Pave the grass paver on the foundation layer and plant grass next.
Notice: if fire lanes are used as main lanes for ordinary vehicles, it will not only be harmful to the usage and normal growing of grass pavers but also affect greening coverage rate and the appearance of traffic roads because there are tremendous vehicles traveling so fast. Under this circumstance, concrete is still suggested as the construction material of the pavement for main traffic roads. As for grass planting pavement, it can be used on pavements where only fire engines could pass through in emergent cases. Likewise, it had better construct passage pavements in parking lots with concrete while parking space pavements should use grass pavers.
Treatments of the foundation layer of the grass paver for sidewalks
1. Compact the earth on the original foundation layer.
2. Pave the grass paver on the compacted foundation soil layer
2-1:Scatter the planting soil in the planting grid and sweep it with a broom uniformly to holes of the grass paver, the height of which should be 5-10mm lower than the surface of the grass paver.
2-2:Lay a turf on the grass paver. As soon as grasses survive after watering and caring, cars can be parked on it. Attention: the turf should be compacted to dense when laying.
1. The gravel foundation layer should be compacted and how dense should be consolidated depends on the maximum load pressure. In addition, a smooth surface of the gravel layer is require and it will be better to have a drainage slope of 1%-2%.Most importantly, pebbles, gravels or sand should be filled in weep holes of the concrete foundation to prevent soil losing.
2. Premium nutritional soil is advised to use as fill dirt of the grass paver. During backfilling, it’s easier to make soil sink down with sprinkling some water. After that, sweep the nutritional soil on the surface of the grass paver into grids with a bamboo broom, the height standard of which is 5-10mm lower than the the surface of the grass paver.
3. The first choice of turfs is zoysia matrella because this kind of grass is tramp resistant and easy to grow. During paving process, there should be a 20mm gap, taking triangular shape paving. After paving work done, water the turf to make it spongy. Then press grass roots into paving grids with mini road-roller or plate vibratory roller by small roller or plate vibrator over and over again to make it easier for grasses to take roots.
4. Only after one-month maintenance of the parking lot can it be used to park cars. During November, December, January, February and March(dormancy), grasses should be maintained for two months.
5. If there is a small quantity of planting soil lost during the using process or after the wet season, scatter some soil or sand on the lawn surface to fill the space where soil lost due to rainwater erosion.
6. The lawn needs timely trimming 4-6 times a year, weeds removing and fertilizing. In hot and dry summer, it’s significant to water often or equip with automatic sprinklers and do well the necessary maintaining and management work.